Wednesday, February 25, 2009


I have been so neglectful in my blog--I had intended to be right on the mark but then surgery hits and knocks the wind right out of you. I am back to work and got my wheels back today!

But let's digress and go back to two weeks ago today. First, I was able to go up to the second floor and visit another gal from the Barix Boards who had had surgery the day before. Sandra was having a rough day but I also talked to the gals at the nurse's station and said to them, I'll see you a little later--but I won't be vertical then!

Not long after returning to Bob & BJ in the waiting room, I was called to go to pre-op.

It didn't take long there and Bob & BJ were called to come where I was. (They only allow one person but I explained how BJ was pretty nervous and special needs and could they both come. They were very understanding and agreed. I was so thankful.) The name of my nurse in pre-op was Aster, a great guy who loved to kid around alot which of course made me more comfortable. Aster made the mistake of calling me "Sue." And so I said to him, "I prefer to be called Susan. How would you like it if I cut your name off after the first syllable?" He laughed and said, "Okay, Susan." (I told the other gals in pre-op I would put this on my blog--one of them even came up and visited me after I was in my room!) When he was going to put in my IV, I asked him, "Are you good at this?" He said, "You have nothing to worry about; I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express and I watched the video last night how to do this. You'll be just fine." I think he did have to do it twice because I have such roly poly veins!

Don't you just love my outfit--especially the hat. I had to do this breathing treatment because of my allergy to latex. That's Aster beside my bed. His outfit is cute too; loved his cap!

Aster's good work on my hand.
Breathing treatment. I was getting light headed from blowing so much in it!

It looks like Aster is ready to wheel me away but I haven't had my good drugs yet so I won't remember anything!

Ahhh! YES! The happy drugs ready to give me after I see the anesthesiologist and my surgeon, Dr. Nunn.

This is Jeanne who came up to the floor to visit me the next day (I think that's when--I was so groggy the whole while!) She laughed so hard at my comment about Aster's name and calling me Sue! This was the time of having to wait patiently--Aster had gone to lunch--he assured me the soup wasn't any good--since I had nothing to eat or drink since before midnight and this was about 11:15 a.m. or so. He also explained they had to clean the OR; at least get all the blood mopped up off the floor! He was such a riot!

This is Dr. Adams, the anesthesiologist. I thought he was cute and too young to be a doctor and told him that, as well.

The recovery room nurse came to talk to me and I told her I would probably be a "BAD" patient in recovery and would not want to wake up. I don't remember seeing her ever again! I'm sure I did but those happy drugs cause amnesia! I'm so grateful for that!

Enter handsome Dr. Nunn:I asked him if we could pray with him and we did. I mostly prayed for his skills and stamina to be just what he needed for my surgery and thanked God for this opportunity and for the staff and for Dr. Nunn. When I said, "Amen." He said to me, "I should have had you for the first patient today to get me started off right!"

He explained to us that my surgery would be 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours long and he would meet Bob & BJ in the lobby after I went to recovery.

(I am going to publish this now and pick up here on my next post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment